Saturday 24 February 2018

The 2018 Web Developer : Install node.js (node) on Ubuntu

In the last entry of this series, I installed Node Version Manager (nvm). This was important in order to give me the flexibility I need in this entry.

What is node.js (node)?

According to wikipedia "Node.js is an open-source, cross-platform JavaScript run-time environment for executing JavaScript code server-side".

How will node help me?

The first pleasure I got for using node.js was in testing JavaScript I'd written through the terminal. This meant, I could edit a file such jimmy.js, then test it on the command-line through:
node jimmy.js
No need to keep refreshing a browser. It also provided me with warning and error messages like any other compiler.
node also opens the door to much bigger things, particularly through the Node Package Manager, which I'll discuss in future posts. So it's well worth having.
Now to install node.js using nvm
nvm install node
Test that it has installed using:
node -v
If, for any reason, this call returns an error; node may not be in your PATH variable. To rectify this, open your .bashrc file, and at the bottom, add the line.
PATH=/usr/bin/node:$PATH

What next?

Now that I have nvm, npm and node installed what can I do?
Well I can begin by using node as a compiler for .js files. I mention this in the section titled "How will node help me?". I use the atom editor, which I'll be referring to in this series. So if I install the platformio-ide-terminal in atom, you can imagine how quick I'll be editing .js files now.
However, it's also good to know that I will face other, better improvements in my productivity with this new tool set. In the next post, I'll use npm to install node-sass globally. This will allow me to develop using SASS on all my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment