Friday 23 February 2018

The 2018 Web Developer : Introduction

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately by developers who have been in the same position as myself. We're people who have skills in HTML, CSS, jQuery, PHP, MySQL, Apache, GNU/Linux etc. These skills are still relevant. You can find still work with them, but increasingly, less work, in favour of node.js approaches to building applications.
node.js seemed to usher in a whole new set of methods in the unfortunate coincidence of developers having to adapt to using SASS, Git and everything else. Not to mention the fact that understanding node.js also came with a requirement to understand nvm and npm, etc. Not to mention the introduction of Grunt.js Gulp.js, Vue.js, etc.
As I started to familiarise myself with for example node.js, the setup seemed to require you to now install ruby, gem, yum or some other installer. Having got through all that, some blogger would tell me how great it was I could now spend the rest of my development life editing variables listed within package.json files. It didn't really look like fun.
In this next series of posts, I attempt to simplify the process of adopting some of these new technologies. I'm going to try and highlight why they are a useful addition to your existing skill set, rather than having to dispose of everything you already know. This will be done through the lens of an Ubuntu user of the Atom text editor.
If you want to skip through the first few baby steps I offer these commands to get you set up with node.js, nvm, npm and node-sass
sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev curl git-core
curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/creationix/nvm/v0.33.8/install.sh | bash
Now restart
nvm install node
Now restart
npm install -g node-sass
Job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment